Memorial design

This MEmorial is tied to our decision to go on living a high-carbon lifestyle or to switch to a low-carbon one. The Carbon Conversations course asks us to reflect on what that means to us individually, the MEmorial asks what does that personal choice mean to the world.

What part of this world do I not want to live without? I know that, when our group meets, we may find it is not a list of species, it could be anything.

This is hard for me to reflect on. In some weird way, I don't really want to think about it, even though I know it's a good thing - you can't move on until you've mourned, until you've faced the loss and kind of accepted it.

What if you're not ready to accept it? I guess that is what it means to acknowledge and memorialise something, the action helps the acceptance and frees you up to do something about it.

This is the heart of other projects such as MEMO and The Life Cairn - saying farewell to the species we have lost.  I've also captured a feed of tweets tagged #SavetheFrogsDay which coincided with me finishing this activity - a nice synchronicity. (The next Save the Frogs Day is April 27th 2013 :) )

We could look at options similar to this on Twitter, or maybe a completely online space would work - reach the most people, be part of the Carbon Conversations website? Could we collect images with something like Wallwisher (easy to embed and add to) or Pinterest (we could add a follow button on the CC website)? Will that feel "real" enough for us? Do we need something we can touch? Is too much of our life on screen? This is something I would like to chat about with the group.

I will change my lifestyle to save frogs. (Not that I think my own small changes can save them alone, but I believe it can help, even just a little.)

Maybe other people will too, maybe they hadn't thought about it until they see our MEmorial, maybe one of the other images/links will be the hook that inspires them to change.

I'm looking forward to meeting with the group and seeing where we go from here :)

No comments:

Post a Comment