Big question!

What would I miss most? What a question!

In the Carbon Conversations course, we reflected on the perceived "benefits" of a high-carbon lifestyle and what losing those benefits would mean to us. That included a more personal reflection of the impact of a switch to a low-carbon approach would be.

In later meetings, your group may also have talked about the impact not changing would have, I know our group did.

My background is zoology and environmental science, so my default approach was to think about what part of the natural world I would miss - what I didn't want to lose.

I thought about trees, I like trees and they do an amazing job making this world suitable for aerobic organisms like ourselves.

Then I thought about the soil - wonderful microbes busily restoring and regenerating soil and processing waste, the perfect recyclers. Use of chemicals and poor land management is seriously damaging these communities. Where would we be without them?

Did I go with these? Nope.

Did I reflect on the loss of our own species? Our many and varied cultures? No again.

I decided that the one thing I would miss most is the frog. My world wouldn't be the same without them.

The picture below is on my desk as I write - It's a Froggy Frog World by Jody Bergsma and the text in the ring the frogs are circling says Wealth - Prosperity - Abundance. Sounds like a good world to live in :)


No comments:

Post a Comment